Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tchoukball - Lab C International

This week's lab was one where my partner and I had to decide on an international sport and teach it through the culture and physical.  My lab partner, Ryan Carpenter, and I decided to do a sport that came from Switzerland called Tchoukball.  Tchoukball is like a variation of handball and catch.  The objective of Tchoukball is to throw the handball outside of the perimeter, letting it bounce off the rebound surface, and hit the ground outside of the perimeter without the opposing team catching it.  This game was created by Dr. Hermann Brandt, a scientist from Switzerland.  He decided that the main thing of the game is that there is no defense or contact.  This was to prevent injuries that occur in all other sports.



I really enjoyed teaching this lab because it was something different other than the traditional games that are taught during Physical Education.  I felt like the main thing that I could have done differently during this lab is to slow things down.  Instead of trying to teach all of the material that I had planned out on my lesson plan, I should have stuck with a few select activities to work on in order to increase activity time and less instructional time.  One thing that I have noticed is that I'm no longer worried about standing in front of my peers teaching.  I love this because now I can focus on my lesson rather than how I'm going to make it through the lesson without getting nervous. Here is the Lesson Plan and Task Progressions for the Tchoukball Lab.

The Time Coding form that I have created shows that I need to do more activities rather than instructing the lesson's the whole time.  This just proves that sometimes it's more beneficial to extend activities rather than try to continue teaching new things. To go along with this is the Feedback Analysis Form.  This form shows that I got to giving five people feedback.  Most of the feedback was general simple feedback to the students. Here is the content development form as well that goes along with Lab C.





No comments:

Post a Comment